|The olives from our olive groves at 360 a.s.l. on the Rosciate hill are cold-pressed.|
The quality of this oil lies in the soil: we carefully tend the olive trees to guarantee healthy and sound olives that are hand-picked in the first of November.
An extra-virgin olive oil with very low acidity and a strong aroma.
Golden in colour, it has decidedly fruity and sweet taste.
Sebino and Lario: the two denominations that accompany a precious extra virgin olive oil, with a fruity flavour suitable for enriching any kind of food.
Olio Extravergine d’oliva Laghi Lombardi is produced in two different geographic areas; specified by the indications Sebino and Lario.
The geographic indication Sebino is reserved for oil obtained from not less than 40% Leccino olive variety, and not more than 60% of the Frantoio, Casalina, Pendolino and Sbresa varieties. Other varieties can be used in production, in quantities of not more than 20%.
The distinctive characteristics of this product are in particular its low acidity, less than 0.55%, its fruity, light fragrance and its taste, also fruity with a spicy, almond aftertaste. It is golden in colour with brilliant green hues.
For Lario geographic denomination oil, not less than 80% olives of the Casalina Frantoio and Leccino variety must be used; other varieties can be used to make up the remaining 20%.
When consumed this oil is of an intense green colour, with slight golden hues; it is fruity, generally sweet to the palate with a possibly bitter, slightly spicy aftertaste.
The basin of Lake Iseo and of Lake Como are at an average altitude that in theory is not suitable for cultivating olives; in practice, the waters of the lakes act as large reservoirs, able to accumulate warmth and humidity during the summer period, reproducing them during the winter months, in this way creating an extraordinarily mild microclimate in the heart of Northern Italy. This, together with the fertility of its moraine origin soils, has permitted the development of olive growing.
The production area for olives to be used for producing Olio Extravergine d’Oliva Laghi Lombardi with Sebino geographic indication includes 24 municipalities in the province of Brescia and 24 municipalities in the province of Bergamo, all near to Lake Iseo.
The production area for olives to be used for producing Olio Extravergine d’Oliva Laghi Lombardi with Lario geographic indication includes 33 municipalities in the province of Como and 12 municipalities in the province of Lecco, all near to Lake Como.
The systems, kinds of farming and pruning systems use both using traditional and innovative techniques, usually aimed at improving the quality of the olive grove, its fruits and as a consequence, the oil they produce.
The healthy olives are harvested directly from the tree, generally in the month of November, despite the fact that the Production Regulations give a harvesting deadline of 15 January; the operation can be manual, using the brucatura technique, or mechanical.
Milling of the olives must take place within three days of harvesting; the oil must be only be extracted using mechanical or physical means, enabling oil production that completely respects the particular characteristics of the fruit.
Maximum production per hectare must not exceed 5000 kg. and the yield in oil must not exceed 19%. After processing the oil can be marketed either loose or in bottles.
Like all oils it must be kept in a dry, cool place, away from the heat and if possible protected from the light. Optimum storage temperature is between 12 and 14°C; however Olio dei Laghi Lombardi expresses its characteristics best when used fresh, given its characteristic of light fruitiness, which 12 months after production gradually weakens.
With low temperatures, it may solidify; it is sufficient to bring it back to room temperature (16-18°C) for a few minutes, shaking well before consumption, although it would be better to avoid the condensation process caused by low temperatures, as they could cause its particular organoleptic characteristics to be lost.
The organoleptic characteristics of these oils depend both on their areas of origin and on the climatic conditions of that particular vintage, but have in common a low level of acidity, often less than 0.1%.
oil with Sebino geographic indication has a delicate, harmonious fragrance and a light, fruity flavour, with a slight almond, spicy aftertaste;
oil with Lario geographic indication has a slightly fruity fragrance and its taste is also fruity, usually sweet, with a possible bitterish, spicy aftertaste.
It is therefore possible to find various types of oil on sale, varying in fragrance, lightness and aftertaste:
The typical lightness and delicacy of these oils means they can be used on different dishes: with hors d’oeuvres, meat or bresaola carpaccio, with cheeses and vegetables, as a salad dressing, on pasta and soups and even for making some kinds of cakes.